Doesn't everyone today use the Internet and social media tools to communicate?! The answer is no...not even close. Just the other day while visiting my parents, my father clearly stated his lack of understanding or interest in the Internet and social media. I think this is partly a product of his age, profession, stubbornness and lack of understanding. This struck me. How could someone living in today's world be so disconnected from the very tools that help keep me connected to the outside world? Apparently my father is not alone. The latest Harris Interactive poll supports my father's position. The results were as follows:
- 51% of Americans do not currently use social media.
- 49% of Americans use Facebook, MySpace and Twitter.
- 48% have either a MySpace or Facebook account though only 16% say they update daily.
- 5% say they are using Twitter
The data varies depending on who is using the media:
- 75% of 18-34-year-olds have a MySpace or Facebook
- 24% of 55+ have an account
I guess I have to avoid being myopic and assuming that because I am using social media and many of my friends and colleagues are that the whole world is. Although I think we will see the percentage continue to increase over time.